- Phone: +64 7 343 5706
- Email: email@example.com
- Team: Polymers and Chemicals
- Role: Senior Scientist; Research Leader, Polymers and Composites; Project Leader, Packaging
AboutDr Dawn Smith specialises in the synthesis, characterisation, and formulation of polymers. Originally from the US, she worked in the biomedical device industry in R&D and new product development (CIBA Vision, Novartis). Dawn's current research is on bioplastics, unsaturated bio-based polyesters, new polymers derived from forestry residues, biomass-filled polymer systems, and packaging solutions.
- PhD (Polymer Science), University of Connecticut, USA
- BA (Mathematics), Erskine College, USA
- Polymer synthesis – condensation, free radical
- Polymer characterisation – GPC, DSC, TGA, Rheometry
- Cure characterisation
- US 8,003,710 B2 “Production of ophthalmic devices based on photo-induced step growth polymerization” Novartis AG; Medina, Arturo Norberto; Scott, Robert; Smith, Dawn Alison
- US 7,968,050 B2 “Method for Sterilization of Hydrogel Contact Lenses” Vogt, J; Mowrey-McKee, M.F.; Smith, D.