- Phone: +64 7 343 5855
- Email: Warren.Grigsby@scionresearch.com
- Web: http://nz.linkedin.com/pub/warren-grigsby/20/19a/8aa
- Team: Biopolymers and Chemicals
- Role: Senior Scientist & Research Leader, Chemical Synthesis and Design
AboutDr Warren Grigsby is a chemist with specialised experience in polymers and adhesives. His research focuses on developing wood-based materials and composites that incorporate high-performance bonding agents. Warren is leading the development of bio-based adhesive and polymer systems that can be used as substitutes for chemicals derived from petroleum.
- PhD (Chemistry), University of Waikato, New Zealand – 1993
- MSc (1st Class, Chemistry) University of Waikato, New Zealand – 1990
- BSc (Chemistry, with Geochemistry/Earth Sciences) University of Waikato, New Zealand - 1989
- Specialist in synthetic and polymer chemistry applications across a range of materials and products
- Extensive knowledge of polymers, adhesives, resin and coatings in terms of synthesis, characterisation and analysis
- Processing and manufacture of wood, fibre and composite materials
- Modification and applications of polyphenolic lignins and tannins
- 1997-present Senior Scientist/Research Leader
- 2008 FRST New Leader Programme Intelligent Design of Bioadhesives
- 2006-present International organising committees for the Pacific Rim Biobased Composites Symposium and International Wood Adhesives Conference
- 2001 Air New Zealand Forest Research Award for Standards of Excellence in Innovative/Pathbreaking Science
- 1996-1997 Post-doctoral Researcher, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia.
- 1994-1996 Post-doctoral Research Fellow, University of California, Davis, USA.
- 1992 New Zealand Royal Society Young Scientist Award
- 2004- Member of Surface Coatings Association New Zealand
- 1989- Member of the New Zealand Institute of Chemistry
Selected papersGrigsby, W.J., Thumm, A., Carpenter, J.E.P, “Fundamentals of MDF panel dimensional stability: Analysis of high density layers”, J. Wood Chem. Techn., in press.
Grigsby, W.J., Thumm, A., "The interactions between wax and UF resin in medium density fibreboard" European J. Wood and Wood Products, in press.
Grigsby, W.J., Thumm, A., "Resin and wax distribution and mobility during medium density fibreboard manufacture" European J. Wood and Wood Products, in press.
Gaugler, M., Grigsby, W.J., “Thermal Degradation of Condensed Tannins from Radiata Pine Bark”. J. Wood Chem. Techn., Volume 29, Issue 4 October 2009, pages 305 – 321.
Luo, C., Grigsby, W.J., Edmonds, N.E, Easteal, A.J., Al-Hakkak, J., “Synthesis, characterisation and thermal behaviours of tannin stearates prepared from Quebracho and Pine bark extracts”. J. Appl. Polymer Sci., Volume 117 Issue 1, Pages 352 – 360.
Gaugler, M.; Grigsby, W.J.; Harper, D.P.; Rials, T., “Chemical Imaging of the spatial distribution and interaction of tannin dispersal in bioplastic systems”. Advanced Materials and Processing IV (2007) 173-176.
S. Wieland, A. Pizzi, W. Grigsby, J. Warnes and F. Pichelin, “Microcrystallinity and colloidal peculiarities of UF/isocyanate hybrid resins”, J. Appl. Polymer Sci. 104, 2633–2636 (2007)
S. Wieland, A. Pizzi, S. Hill, W. Grigsby, F. Pichelin, “The Reaction in Water of UF Resins with Isocyanates at Short Curing Times: 13C NMR Investigation”, J. Appl. Polymer Sci. 100, 1624–1632 (2006).