Trade & Economic development
Improving the international competitiveness of New Zealand forestry products is dependent on knowledge of the global market.
Scion is a leader in the development and application of economic forest sector models for forecasting and analysing the impacts of global policy on forest product markets and trade.
We also specialise in economic analysis of the impacts of forest sector policy on land use management and change, and economic valuation of the non-market benefits of planted forests.
Our researchers work in the following areas:
- Impacts of trade liberalisation and trade barriers
- Economic impact of illegal logging
- Forestry management under an Emissions Trading Scheme
- Bioeconomic modelling of invasive pests
- Forest investment/land use change analysis
- Carbon risk modelling
- Non-market benefits of planted forests
- Decision-support tool for land owners