Dr Karl Murton is a chemical engineer specialising in mechanical pulping technologies. He is researching the production of useful extractives from wood as part of the biorefinery process.
- PhD (Chem & Materials Eng) University of Auckland, New Zealand - 2003
- BE Hons (Chemical), Canterbury University, New Zealand - 1988
- Monitoring and control of extractives (resin acids, triglycerides etc) in pulpmill white-water flow loops. Reduced water use and increased closure has meant this area of research has increased in importance over recent years.
- Mechanical pulping technologies with emphasis on the disc refiner and screening processes. Specialist areas are refining intensity and wood quality effects for TMP and MDF processing.
- New process development.
- Troubleshooting for both the pulp and paper and MDF industry sectors within NZ and overseas.
Peer-reviewed journal articles
Murton, K.D., Richardson, J.D., and Duffy, G.G. (2006) ”The defibration characteristics of primary-stage TMP– A characterisation of shives and free fibres”, In proceedings of 60th Appita Annual Conference.
Murton, K.D., Corson, S.R. and Duffy, G.G. (2005) “Pulp residence time influence on refining intensity and pulp quality” Appita J, 58 (1).
Murton, K.D., Grigsby, W. and Thumm, A. (2004) “Effect of blowline process conditions on resin distribution for medium density fibreboard (MDF) production, In proceedings of 58th Appita Annual Conference.
Murton, K.D., Corson, S.R. and Duffy, G.G. (2002) “Effect of refining intensity on slabwood and thinnings TMP fibres”, Appita J., 55 (2).
Murton, K.D., Corson, S.R. and Duffy, G.G. (2001) “TMP refining of radiata pine earlywood and latewood fibres”, In proceedings IMPC Helsinki, 2001.
Murton, K.D., (1998) “The effect of preheating and refining conditions on radiata pine MDF fibre quality”, In proceedings of 52nd Appita annual conference.
Murton, K. (1998) “Refining intensity impact on slabwood and thinnings TMP”, Appita J., 51 (6).
Murton, K.D., (1997) “The effect of primary stage refining consistency on TMP pulp quality and energy consumption”, In proceedings of 51st Appita Annual conference.
Murton, K.D. and Corson, S.R. (1997) Production rate effect on TMP pulp quality and energy consumption. JPPS 23 (8).