Packaging design and development
Packaging has to be tough to protect valuable goods, but also look good and communicate essential information about the products it contains.
Scion works with packaging companies, manufacturers and exporters to optimise existing packaging products and to develop sustainable packaging for the future that also reinforces brand stories through design and materials.
- A packaging solution for Oceanmax
- Packaging – more than meets the eye (including printed electronics)
- Scion’s Packaging solutions brochure [pdf]
Optimising paper-based packaging
Improving and optimising design of paperboard boxes, packaging materials and surface treatments on a commercial scale can be challenging and expensive. We focus on accelerating the process through:
- Performance testing in simulated supply chain conditions including moisture accelerated failure and controlled humidity cycling.
- Watch a video about Scion’s unique controlled humidity WHITE Room [YouTube]
- Developing and using printable functional coatings that can add functionality to packaging materials including
- Moisture and gas barriers that can increase paperboard packaging life
- Find out more about Scion’s specialty dispersion barrier coatings; 001LW and 002S [pdf]
- Printed electronics
- Active antimicrobials, and other surface treatments
We have a range of lab-scale printers and coaters and a commercial scale flexographic printer that are available for use.
Towards sustainable packaging
Reduced product loss, better recyclability and increasing use of bio-based materials all contribute to increased packaging sustainability. Our research and development focusses on
- Design and material choice to reduce weight, improve performance and use sustainable materials
- Life cycle analysis
- Testing the compostability of materials to ISO 14855-1 [pdf]
- Developing and using materials from bio-based sources, including pulp and paper, wood fibre, bioadhesives, and biomass/plastic composites
Watch a video on biodegradation and compostability testing [YouTube]
Testing and development capabilities
The specialised resources and testing services available for use include:.
- A unique controlled cyclic humidity environment (the WHITE Room). Watch a video about the WHITE Room
- A commercial scale flexographic printer. Watch the printer in action [YouTube]
- A compostability testing facility. Watch a video about the facility [YouTube]
- A range of bench to pilot scale printing and coating resources
- Materials characterisation capabilities [pdf]
- Compostability testing [pdf]
Kate Parker, Team Lead, Sustainable Materials