- Phone: +64 7 343 5772
- Email: Show email
- Web: http://nz.linkedin.com/pub/kim-mcgrouther/27/932/42a
- Team: Chemistry and Physics
- Role: Team Lead, Analytical Chemistry
Kim is a chemist with broad experience in industrial processing. Since joining Scion in 1991 her research has focused on oxidative pulp bleaching and waste water treatment for the pulp and paper industry. She has understanding of using advanced tools for chemical analysis, which represent core capability in the development of clean technologies.
More recently Kim has moved into management and has oversight of the Toitū enviromark certification and wider Environmental Sustainability program at Scion.
- Dip Pulp & Paper Technology, Auckland University, New Zealand - 1991
- MSc (Chemistry), Otago University, New Zealand - 1991
- BSc (Hons) (Chemistry), Otago University, New Zealand - 1990
- Specialist in oxidation chemistry for environmental remediation in the Pulp and Paper industry
- Extensive knowledge of the wider wood processing industries (technical, commercial, environmental)
- Comprehensive chemistry skill-base, including use and analysis of NMR, Mass spectrometer, ion chromatography and FTIR
- Team Manager/Operational Leader, Clean Technologies and Biotransformation, Scion 2016-2021
- Project Leader, Corporate Sustainability, 2012-present
- Research Leader, Industrial Ecology, Scion 2011-2015
- NZ-France Scientist Exchange Programme Fellow, 1995
Gielen, G J H; Love, S R; Lei, R J; Gapes, D J; Strong, P J; McGrouther, K G; Stuthridge, T R (2011). Wet Oxidation Technology – A potential biosolids management alternative. IPENZ Transactions 2011/2, Trenz 19, ISSN 1179-9293.
Joss, EN; McGrouther, K G; Slade, A H; (2007). Comparison of the efficacy of oxidative processes and flocculation for the removal of colour from Eop effluent Water Science and Technology 55(6): 57-64.
McGrouther, K G; Delagoutte, T; Suckling, I D; (2001). Effect of transition metal ions on reactions of peroxymonosulphate with lignin and carbohydrate model compounds Journal of Pulp and Paper Science 27(7): 224-229.
McGrouther, K G; Smit, R; Delagoutte, T; Suckling, I D; (1997). Spectrophotometric determination of peroxides and peroxyacids in lignin model compound reactions Holzforschung 52(6): 640-642.